This book has been instrumental to leaders in business and is a must-have resource for anyone who wants to improve themselves in the area of leadership. Great leaders are continually working to improve themselves and The Leadership Challenge is a great tool to assist you in that effort.
The authors have conducted and compiled leadership research since 1983 and have done a good job updating their content over the years. The case studies have been updated but the core practices of exemplary leadership remain constant:
1. Model the Way – Set the example for others to follow
2. Inspire a Shared Vision – Envision an exciting future and enlist others in the vision
3. Challenge the Process – Don’t settle for the status quo, keep looking outward for ways to improve
4. Enable Others to Act – Foster collaboration, build trust and strengthen others
5. Encourage the Heart – Recognize contributions and show genuine appreciation by celebrating the victories
These core practices or “pillars” are crucial to great leadership but the foundation that leadership is built on is credibility. Of the surveys conducted, participants listed honesty, integrity and character as their highest ranked values and characteristics in leadership. “Above all else we as constituents must be able to believe in our leaders. We must believe that their word can be trusted…” When asked to define credibility the most frequent response is “they do what they say they will do.”